What’s that old saying? “It’s better to give than to receive.” In the real world, most people are just as happy to receive a gift as they are in giving one. However, many times we may have been disappointed with the gift we receive and, of course, we also worry about the gifts we give having a less than enthusiastic reception.
Gift givers fall into two categories –
- those that easily choose awesome gifts
- and those that don’t
The best gifts are purchased with a little bit of thought and understanding of the recipient. So before you rush out and buy a boring pair of socks or a bunch of supermarket flowers (again), take a look at some of these gift ideas so you can give something unique and be remembered for your pro present picking skills.
Top 10 Gifts Ideas For 2021
It’s not always easy to choose the right gift, but in 2021 we are not stuck for choice. Choosing the right gift is a lot easier when you know the intended recipient well enough but if you are finding it difficult to decide, here are 10 great ideas to get you started:
- Books – You can never go wrong with a good book. Even if your recipient is not a bookworm you can find a DIY, hobby or interest book specific to their interests and be certain they’ll like it.
- Small Tech Items – When it comes to technology, there are dozens of products you can choose from. Think along the lines of headphones, touch pens, speakers, etc.
- Picture Frames – Yes, most of our photos are now on social media but those special moments we capture we still like to display. A good quality picture frame is a welcome gift and it can be even better if you can add the photo yourself – this is always a winner with parents and grandparents, but your co-workers and distant relatives probably don’t want a framed photo of you on their nightstand.
- Retro Games – Those old board games people used to love to play have made a comeback (in fact, sales jumped due to the COVID-19 lockdowns[i]) and so have some of the older console games. If you can find the games to match your recipient’s console, you’ll be the favourite gift giver.
- Small Appliances – Is your recipient a coffee fiend or do they love to whip up smoothies? A small kitchen appliance such as a coffee machine, a blender or any other small appliance will never go astray – just double check they haven’t got it first.
- Novelty or Personalised Mugs – Almost everyone has a favourite hot beverage so get them something they will use every day. Novelty mugs are great for a laugh, but you can also have mugs personalised for a special touch.
- Custom Gifts – Many printing companies now offer a variety of gifts that can be custom printed or engraved. You can choose clothing, water bottles, hip flasks and many other items. That personal touch makes all the difference.
- Scented Packs – You can’t go wrong with a scented pack for him or her. These packs can be something you put together yourself or already packaged. There are even special ones for kids of all ages.
- Hampers – If you’re in a rush, many gift shops have ready made hampers for every occasion. But you can also put together your own hamper with the recipient’s favourite foods and other items. These are also perfect when you want to bring a single gift for a family.
- Booze – Whether it’s a six-pack of craft beer, boutique wine or a bottle of something stronger, no one is ever disappointed when they get a bottle of alcohol.
Gift Ideas for Her
What do you get the woman who has everything? Most of the time, as long as you put some thought into the gift, you can’t go wrong. Some great gift ideas for her always include:
- Perfume – Ask a family member which type of scents she likes to be safe.
- Chocolates – You can choose a delicious assortment already boxed or visit a specialist chocolatier and create a personalised selection of yummy chocolates.
- Cosmetics – A girl can never have too much make-up.
- Jewellery – After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend.
- Handbags – I challenge you to find a woman that only has one handbag. In many cases, most women will have one for every occasion.
- Sunglasses – A classic accessory that women tend to love.
- Relaxation Packs – Bubble bath, bath salts and even essential oils are always popular.
- Scented Candles – Decorative and they smell nice.
- Hair Styling Appliances – Curlers, straighteners and hair dryers are a welcome addition to the female bathroom.
- Liqueur – Something fruity or creamy is always good.
- Flowers & Plants – A bunch of flowers will always put a smile on her face but if you want something that will last longer than a week, choose a nice potted plant.
Clothing can be tricky with women. Not only is it hard to find the right size but what you like may be quite different to what she likes. Unless you are 100% certain you know the size and style, it’s better to get something else, or go for a gift card for her favourite clothing shop.
Gift Ideas for Him
Shopping for the special man in your life, your brother or your best buddy can be a challenge. If you’re not sure what to get, here are some great gift ideas for him:
- Sunglasses – Everyone needs protection from the sun so sunglasses are always welcome.
- Hip Flask – This small bottle is fun and practical.
- Anything for the car – Whether it’s something to do with music or a dash cam, men are serious about their cars and will love any gift for their “baby”.
- Game Consoles – The latest console or a retro one. Men love their video games.
- Sporting Apparel or Equipment – Their favourite team’s jersey or a new pair of football boots. Anything to do with sport is a winner.
- BBQ Essentials – Most men consider themselves “The Master of the Grill”. Give your outdoor chef the gift of a manly apron or a set of grilling utensils.
- Watches – A nice watch is the mark of a sophisticated man.
- Alcohol – A nice bottle of whisky, brandy or even tequila is sure to make him smile. Pair this with a decanter and glasses for a memorable gift.
- Clothing – When it comes to clothing avoid boring old socks and jocks. Go for a nice shirt or a fun t-shirt.
- Special Themed Gifts – Whether it’s a TV show or movie, themed gifts are quirky and fun. Think of chess sets, posters, beverage sets and T-shirts
Birthday Gift Ideas
Anyone that tells you they don’t want a birthday gift is most likely not telling you the truth. Everyone loves getting birthday gifts regardless of their age. If you’re looking for the perfect present ideas for an upcoming birthday or you just want to have a few ready in case of a last-minute invitation, these are sure to please:
- Magazine Subscriptions – Just make sure you know the recipient is interested in the subject matter.
- Food Hampers – Sweet, savoury or a combination of the too.
- Gift Vouchers – Let the recipient use them for something they want or need.
- Something You Made – Whether it’s a birthday cake, a box of cookies or even something crafty like a chair or storage for a gamer. Whatever you make can be truly unique and the recipient is sure to feel special knowing how much time and effort you put into their gift.
- Travel Bags – These can be used for the whole family.
- Movie or Theatre Tickets – An evening out is always great.
Christmas Gift Ideas
Christmas is a magical time of the year when we spend quality time with family and friends. There are lunches, dinners and other happy moments we share with those closest to us and it’s also a time for giving gifts. Show up with something thoughtful with one of these Christmas gift ideas:
- Homemade Goodies – Nothing says Merry Christmas like a box of homemade aromatic cookies and slices. You’ll be baking for yourself anyway so make extra and wrap them up as gifts.
- Christmas Ornaments – Our usual home décor goes right out the window at Christmas and is replaced with ornaments for the tree and almost every corner of the home. They also make great gifts for family and friends.
- Winter Warmers – Scarves, gloves and hats are an essential part of winter apparel as well as being the perfect gift for Christmas.
How Much Should You Spend on Gifts?
One of the biggest dilemmas people face when buying gifts is how much to spend. The main factor depends on your budget, the occasion being celebrated and your relationship with that person, couple or family.
As a general rule of thumb, you can expect to spend the following:
- Birthdays – £20 to £50
- Weddings & Christenings – £ However, if it’s a close family member, you can expect to spend more.
- Graduations, anniversaries, job promotions – £50 to £100
- Christmas – Whatever you can afford. Fortunately, you can get by spending less with homemade gifts.
There are no set rules when it comes to gift giving and although you want the recipient to be happy with the gift you give them, the last thing you want to do is get yourself into financial problems. If you put a little thought into your gifts, you can find something unique that will be appreciated without breaking the bank.
What’s your go-to gift when you’re struggling with ideas? Let us know.